Sunday, September 25, 2011

Culinary Adventures

As you may have noticed, I enjoy taking pictures of food. Cooking is one form of art that I seem to have a pretty good handle on, probably because it is not difficult to do well if you can find a good recipe. Lately I haven't been feeling up to doing too much (for reasons you read about in Steve's last post) but I'm doing much better and gaining back my energy. After making oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins for breakfast and a nice easy frozen pizza for lunch, I still had energy to make Pad Thai for dinner.

Here's a little background: Steven and I went to an Asian restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico on our extended honeymoon (aka. drive to Arizona).  This idea was inspired a bit by our excellent experience with Thai food at Justine (Steve's sister) and Billy's rehearsal dinner this summer. As usual, the two of us were drawn to the same two dishes- one that we knew we'd both like and another that sounded exciting. Steve always orders the exciting dish, I order the good one, and we switch half way. His was a delicious tofu soup with coconut milk and mine was Pad Thai (which easily won). We followed our dinner with a sweet plum wine.

Steve has mentioned the Pad Thai several times since so I noticed it right away as I looked through our "Light and Healthy Cookbook." I had never thought much about making Asian food, but I though it looked very doable. It is made with rice noodles, shrimp (though we used chicken), lime, fish sauce, eggs, bean sprouts, green onions, and peanuts. It is seasoned with garlic and red pepper and garnished with cilantro. It tasted as good as we remembered! Just another reason for you to visit...






6 comments:

  1. I love Pad Thai and yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! way to go, Amy! Steve looks pretty happy about this dish. :) I have always wanted to try a recipe for Pad Thai chicken, but I haven't gotten brave enough. Perhaps your success will spur me on to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food always looks so pretty!!
    Love Gma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Colleen and Grandma Sue! I can always make it again when you come visit... :)

    Paula, the recipe that I have is actually really easy. If you want it I can email it to you. It takes a bit of prep but I enjoy cooking so that's fine with me. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thai food and cooking Thai. You'll have to try making the curries as well, they're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thai food is fantastic! I love their spicy coconut soups too.

    ReplyDelete