Thursday, September 1, 2011

Survey Says:

We already bought a car.
We don't need to buy a house.
Amy's already got the ring, but this purchase was about the same value.
We've been checking for Murris statues on craigslist, but they are either way out of our price range or way out of our geographical range.

WE BOUGHT A PIANO!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not in our house yet, I still need to figure things out with the piano movers, but I wrote out the check today.  It's a 5'6" Kimball grand.  The previous owner's father bought it new in 1938 and passed it on to his son.  They are a family of musicians, so it's been pretty well taken care of.  It's in great shape.  The exterior is beautiful, the soundboard is in good shape (so the piano tech told me), it has a real sostenuto pedal (not that I have a song in my repertoire that requires one), and although they are cracked and worn, it still has the original ivory keys.  We went to his house to write the check, and tried to figure out a way to strap it to the top of the LeSabre so we could have it home today, but I'll be happy to wait and let the professionals handle it.

Next item on the shopping list:  bookshelves.  I'll have to start unpacking all those piano books...

9 comments:

  1. Ahh. Welcome, Ms. Kimball! Also, I like your outfit, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piano is taller than Amy. This is an exciting purchase! :) It's a real home now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulattions!! I can't wait to hear you play her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see you two are writing on your blog again. A grand piano! You certainly don't start out small. It looks beautiful! It will look even more beautiful in your home with you pounding the ivory. Congratulations on accomplishing another one of your dreams. So many dreams have come true in one summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You know...I refreshed your blog like every 15 minutes waiting for this post! Pianos are a wonderful thing to have in a home :) Congrats guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! It matches your little brown piano bench!! Now you will have to clean out the "den" so there is room for more furniture. When will the "little bundle" arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew it! I remember you saying "the first piece of furniture I buy will be a piano"! It looks just beautiful! And your smile is nice too. Pretty easy to see you are very excited. I can't wait to hear you play it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beauty!!! I can't wait to come and hear you play it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise. The gift of language combined with the gift of song was given to man that he should proclaim the Word of God through Music."
    — Martin Luther
    What a wonderful and worthwhile investment.

    ReplyDelete