Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Here it is!

The long awaited missing entry on Thanksgiving is finally here! Our second Thanksgiving actually took place on Thanksgiving day. (If you missed out on 1 and 3 you need to look back at an earlier post by Steve.) We were invited by a second grader's family to eat and socialize at their house. House is an understatement, but let me back up. The father is a wealthy American and was in the Caribbean for business. He met a Dominican girl and kind of got trapped. Yes, I think trapped is the word he would use. He told us he stays because he loves his wife and son and she doesn't want to leave her family, but he sure doesn't seem to be suffering too much. The house is more like a resort than a house. It has various buildings and gardens surrounding a courtyard. The center of the courtyard is a very large swimming pool complete with fountains and an island in the middle.

The food was delicious! It was mostly a traditional Thanksgiving meal, but there were a few Dominican twists. We did have rice and beans with our turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc. The mother even tried to make an apple pie and did much better than any store-bought one we've seen here. Her family was there and some family friends came as well so we had a lot of good conversation throughout the afternoon. The father has certainly led an interesting life- he was full of stories of travels to the majority of the Caribbean islands. We'll have pictures to show some of the details- coming soon!

Since Thanksgiving we've been busy with end of the year things, as Steve mentioned. Exams, yes, but also a faculty and staff Christmas party! (He saved this topic for me.) Last Friday Miss Jennie got the school cafeteria all set up nicely and we got dressed up and came back to school. It was a little strange to be there dancing and drinking, but we didn't dwell on that. Mostly, we were wracking out brains trying to decide how we would ever describe such a party to you all back home. We still don't know. It was a Dominican party. You just have to experience it or use your imagination. Maybe these basic facts will help: The school secretary was there in her red leggings and Santa hat. The librarian brought her belly-dancing skirt. Some shirts were opaque; others were not. There was karaoke thanks to a projector, youtube, and microphone. The dancing was constant throughout everything. There was a raffle for a small sum of money that we did not win. :( The night ended with dinner, which was served at 1:00. AM. We had pork, rice and beans, potato salad, vegetable salad, baked eggplant, etc. It was delicious and we left shortly after eating. We realized that the reason Dominicans serve the food last at their parties is because no one can dance after eating all that so everyone just leaves.

Steve also mentioned that I was sick. On Friday, before the party and at Miss Jennie's insisting, I went to the doctor. I have felt sick in the stomach off and on since getting here. Thursday was one of the worst days so I went home early from school, after all my responsibilities were taken care of. Miss Jennie was concerned though and insurance covers appointments so I went. I was proud of my Spanish- I conversed easily with the doctors who were very nice. They concluded that I just have a sensitive stomach and the food and water affect it a lot. I also showed them some sore bumps which have been growing on my elbow. Everyone was suggesting that it was mosquito bites, but they don't usually come in clusters or grow over time. Turns out it is a virus. The doctor prescribed a pill for a few days that will protect my stomach and a cream for my elbow, which is almost better already.

Make sure to come back soon for pictures and news about our school Christmas party and program. Enjoy the cold weather and make a few snowmen for us!

5 comments:

  1. So, glad you are back!!! I don't know about others, but I have missed these posts immensely. I don't feel anymore in touch after our chat Sat., I guess I will have to wait for the 1st. Bethany gives me a count down, almost daily. Let me know if you want any over the counter for your stomach.
    Miss you both so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you again Amy!!! I love reading your blog :) I'm glad you are feeling better and I can't wait to hear from Kathy about her trip to see you!!!! Love the pictures and jealous of the weather ;) hehe. Miss you and love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, agree with both of the previous posts!! Glad you are feeling better now Amy. Steve better take good care of you!!!!!! LOL I also look every day for your posts. Take Care.
    Love ya,
    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if that will be necessary, Mom. "Over-the-counter" is a much broader term here than in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See through shirt.... colored bra.... Haha I love the latina fashions!

    ReplyDelete