Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blepharitis and a Carcass

Well actually the carcass comes first. On Sunday when I was cleaning my room I found myself pining for a little sunlight and fresh air in my bedroom. You see, I have two small windows that allow roaches to enter so they mostly stay shut. Sometimes I open the one window but the other is usually left. In fact I don't remember the last time I opened it. Therefore I should not have been surprised that when I pulled back the curtain I was greeted by the sight of a mostly dissolved, ant-covered lizard carcass. I quickly opened the window, shoved it out with a pen, and ran to tell Steve of the horrors I had been through. It was most disturbing.

The Blepharitis actually began before the carcass but I didn't pay much mind to my very bloodshot eyes for about 10 days since they didn't really bother me. Finally I decided yesterday to get them checked. It worked out well because our coordinator's mother was going in to the eye doctor that afternoon so she set up an appointment for me and took me along. We arrived at 3:30, I got in at 4:00 and told them that something was wrong with my eyes. Then I got to sit out there again till a little after 5. It took about 10 minutes once I got in for her to check me out, diagnose it as Blepharitis (a kind of infection), prescribe a few things, and send me on my way. Problem is that my insurance didn't cover the appointment and it turned out to be expensive and the medication was almost as expensive as the appointment. On the upside, my eyes are already looking much better.

Coming soon- more field trips and the solution to my wild first grader.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad your eyes are better, they're too important to not take good care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are having such a time of it with your health there. So very glad things are looking up in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wouldn't have been doing great health-wise anyway the year after having mono. Being in a third world country hasn't helped matters I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Amy! I don't know how I would have reacted to such a carcass. Just another story to add to the plentiful adventure list! I miss you, and I hope you are feeling well.
    Love, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would ever guess you grew up on a farm? We should have let you take care of Tova's gifts.
    Love ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Mom, but those were not a foot from my bed rotting away for who knows how long before they were discovered.

    ReplyDelete