Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Double Time!

What is this? Two posts in one week? How luxurious!

Guess what? Amy's roommate is engaged! It happened last Saturday and we all found out on Monday. So that's really all the talk right now. She's an American from Chicago and she's been dating a Dominican man for a year. He's so cool, one of the nicest guys I know. I am just so indescribably happy for them. That might sounds a bit over the top, but this is me talking here, and I always get so excited for other people's relationships.

All of that aside, the best part was that a celebration was in order. And Tuesday is Ladies Night. So we all went out, the girls had free midori sours all night, and I had half-price appetizers. Amy's other roommate has a friend visiting right now, she came along, and we all got to meet her, too. A nice break in the middle of the week.

School is crazy. The kids are uncontrollable. Break is two days away, and they can almost taste it. It doesn't help that we have Reading Marathon this week, where all of classes give a presentation about what they've been learning in Language class during the semester. Several perform plays or readers theatre adaptations of books they are reading. My kids presented some of their book reports (including pictures, posters, summaries, and a play they put together themselves, so proud) and some original poetry we've been writing the past few weeks (April is National Poetry Month!) including cinquains (5 lines, each line larger than the first, with the last word a synonym for the first), apostrophe poems (where you talk to someone/thing that can't hear you, like "Oh, Sky, why are you so blue?", and perspective poems (where you pretend to be someone/thing else). I have included a sample of my absolute favorite poem. You have to imagine this being read out loud by a boy in a Dominican accent:

Penguin, Penguin,
You are so beautiful
You look like a fat guy
Penguin, you are a ninja?
Penguin, Penguin,
You are like me,
We like the same things,
But I don't like the fish.

Every time we practiced, I was laughing out loud, along with my entire class who were trying to not fall out of their desks. I was especially proud, because he really struggles with English, but he read the poem with really great inflection and perfect timing for humor.

One last note, AMY'S PARENTS ARRIVE TOMORROW!!!!!!!! They are flying into Santiago, spending a few days here, and then we head to the beach to stay in a resort for a total visit time of one week. Then we can start counting the days to the finish line!

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord!! I'm so happy for you all, I wish I could come back. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool entry! enjoy the family vaca- it'll be nice, I'm sure, to have them around for the week- looking forward to seeing you two again, too :)
    the penguin poem made me cry- it's just too hilarious! my hubby liked it too...Glad to see the new posts!

    ReplyDelete