Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Parents Visit: Part III

I still haven't written about my parents time on the coast! I'm pretty bad at this. That was ages ago so let's go back in time a bit here....

We arrived at the coast in Sosua and took a taxi to Cabarete. He tried to overcharge us but gave up when the resort told us our reservation had been cancelled! We told them no it had not and thankfully they still had room for us and agreed to the price we had been told. We were then shown to a tiny little room in the corner of the place. Not exactly the Standard we had expected, but Dad got that sorted out the next morning with a little persistence and diplomacy. Thanks Dad! Take a look at the new and improved room:
That night we enjoyed 3-star resort food and a 3-star "Africa Show" which was Latinos attempting to lip-synch Lion King in English. A night we are afraid won't easily be forgotten. Ha!

The next day we were able to enjoy the day on the beach and in the pools. It was so relaxing- just what we needed! That night Dad and I won a round of bingo each- with a prize of a souvenior sized bottle of rum. On Wednesday we took my parents in to the public beach in Sosua so that they could experience the culture. The ride there was a cultural blast in itself. The guagua (bus) that we were in decided to race another! It was terrifying for even those of us accustomed to the different driving style here. Once there we were able to relax. We ate fresh shrimp and had pina coladas in the pineapple and coco locos in the coconut! After enjoying the beach as long as possible we braved another guagua ride (much safer than the last) back to Cabarete's public beach. There we enjoyed a delicious dinner of red snapper and lobster, before heading back to the resort. Here is lovely Sosua in the evening:
Thursday came all too fast. We all packed up and headed to our respective home. My parents had an adventursome trip and got home much later that expected (or should I say earlier since it was the next morning)... but all was well. I suppose they were our last visitors. We miss them but we're in the home stretch now!
Stay posted- I should write a bit about Easter yet, a (surprise?) wedding, Science Fair, and most importantly look for Call Day results posted SATURDAY! Or just watch the service yourself and spoil all our fun;)

3 comments:

  1. I am so emotional these days, I love the picture of you and your parents, just made me cry. The two of you really have some wonderful memories of the past year, especially with all of the visitors you had. So glad we could be a part of them. Can't wait for Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture too! All the visitors were such a blessing this year. The kids are really crazy with Science Fair this week so it's been keeping my mind off of Saturday. I'm actually thankful for their excessive energy right now though I wish I could channel it somehow! 2 days- it doesn't even seem real!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete