Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Slowly but surely...

Today we only had a half day of school. The 30th of March is some local holiday and the city had a military parade. We didn't go to the parade. We took a nap. But this is just another example of the Latin culture: the city announced the half day and parade YESTERDAY.


Anyway, onto day 5 with our visitors, Thurday:

The ladies were exhausted the next day after a long hard day in the sun, so they slept in and took it easy. Amy and I had to teach all day. But afterward, we met the ladies at Plaza Internacional, a mall, to pick up some Latina Fashions!

We stopped at KB, Amy's favorite jewelry store. I think it was Justine who said "It's like Claire's, but for grown-ups!" This is the same place I got Patty and Colleen their Christmas presents. Lots of really fun stuff. Justine got a little basket and soon had it filled with all of the goodies she found. She came to Amy and I, desperate, and indecisive: "I can't get all of this!" So we all got together and helped her weed through and make some decisions. We made our purchases and walked out of the store to see that another jewelry store had recently opened up just next door. We entered and repeated the above activities.


After a hard evening of shopping we crossed the street to a cool place called Parrillita. It's a nice grill with some amazing meat for extremely reasonable prices. I had chuletas (pork chops), Amy had a kabob of mixed meat, Grandma had mofongo (mashed plantains with pork), and Justine had chicharrones de pollo (Dominican fried chicken). Everything was breathtakingly delicious.




3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're recording our visit. It was so great and I'm reliving it when I read this.
    Love Gma

    ReplyDelete
  2. HHola..........I am so happy for you in that you have been able to have so many visitors come all the way to the DR. You guys should be getting to be pretty good "tour guides". When is schhol out for this year? Are you going back next year? I am really looking forward to m,eeting "Amy's Choice".(Steve) Hope all is well with you. Have a safe trip back home.
    Love Ya,
    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. School will be finished June 10th, and we'll hopefully be flying back on the 18th. Amy and I have given our information for the book of candidates, so in May we will be looking for an assignment from the synod.

    PS I also am looking forward to meeting "Uncle Bob."

    ReplyDelete