Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Wild Child

Here's the latest on my crazy kid: To tell you the truth I don't remember how much I've said about him on here so I'll take a leap back, which will also get any new readers in the loop (should any come along).

In my first grade classroom I had started out with 9 students. About a month later 2 new ones arrived. It was then that the real problems began. I had 10 of the first graders who did not know English, could not identify letters, and didn't know how to line up. The is was somewhat surprising but nothing that I couldn't handle. It was that 11th student. After numerous issues with him running out of the classroom, refusing to do work, attempting to bite the reinforcement teacher, and hurting other students he was diagnosed with ADHD.

That was only the beginning. Now, months later it would be easier to tell you what he hasn't done. The most shocking incidents involve slamming a boy's hand in the door, stomping the psychologist's foot, and attacking the Spanish aid and me. The consequences for him were minimal. So it got to the point where I was hardly able to teach. I told Miss Jennie that I was concerned that he would start attacking the students the way he was attacking me.

Miss Jennie decided that this was a valid point. The problem is that the law here makes it difficult to kick a student out of a school, due to their "rights to education." Instead, the student now spends each hour of the day with a different teacher in a one on one class. I only have two classes with him every other week- computers.

Today he decided he is tired of this arrangement and decided to attempt an escape- pushing and pinching his teacher who was blocking the door. This is nothing new to me, but since we have already taken the steps needed and the situation is not improving it will now go on to the discipline committee. We'll have to wait and see what they decide. It is hard to deal with this, especially as a first year teacher. I wish I could have helped him but really he needs a facility that is equipped for special education where he can have what's best for him.

5 comments:

  1. It is very interesting that you had to put up with this for so long and he attacks one teacher one time and is going to the discipline committee. I would have to say that you did a magnificent job as a "first year teacher"
    I bet your whole classroom has to be relieved and eager to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad and frustrating situation for you. It's amazing to me that other parents didn't complain. I too would be concerned that he would attack other students. Bravo Amy!!You certainly did your best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had no idea that ADHD could be the cause of such violent behavior. I agree with Mom S. though. It sounds like you've been doing a great job and taking all the steps you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were told he had ADHD, everyone was like, "...and...?" It should be the beginning of a list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you get a lot of comments? Who are your readers? Send them my way. :) This student sounds a little like mine from student teaching. Takes a lot of patience, and quick reflexes. Sorry I haven't been able to read your blog very often. I can only do it when my vpn works. Sounds like you are staying busy!

    ReplyDelete