Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New kid on the block

Holly's sarcasm towards Steve in her comment on the last post inspired me to write again. The truth is that I've been holding off because I haven't been sure how much to say.

I got a new student last week Monday. How do I explain him? Well, he is a terror, in every sense of the word. It's unbelievable that the classroom has not yet been completely destroyed. I've been hit the past four school days in a row (okay, one of those times was a different student) and only once was he sent home directly after. Thank goodness he is only 5. Well, supposedly... they aren't exactly sure. He is big for a five-year-old.

It's not that he's bad. His home life isn't very stable and he seems to live in his own fantasy world in which he can do anything he wants. He also really craves attention. Constant attention.

One of his favorites is to get a hold of my bell and run in circles around the room. The other kids know that this is bad so they chase after him sometimes, thinking that this will help me.

Every day as we go out the the cafeteria, which is an open patio next to the playground, he makes a break for the playground. He has also on multiple occasions attempted to escape from the school. He just runs out of the room and down the hall, through the offices and tends to be caught by the school's doorman right before exiting. It is for children like him that the school is surrounded by a fence.

The other kids have decided not to befriend him. I try to encourage them, but they are scared of him. I don't blame them. When he does decide to join us in the circle on the floor the kids keep moving away one by one so they can move to the opposite side of the circle from him. Being a circle, there is no way for them all to be as far as possible away from him.

He also likes to roll. On the floor. When the others are attempting to sit on it. If it wasn't so frustrating it would be quite comical.

On numerous occasions he has taken hold of my ankles and not let me move. I have been bitten, pinched, kicked, slapped, hit, etc. I just get scared for my other students. I don't want to end up in a position where I end up hurting him by trying to protect the others.

I'm about at my wit's end by the time my classes end. Every day I recharge and go back to it, but it is tiring. Miss Jenny is working out a schedule for someone to help me in the classroom at all times. It is necessary. We hope with time that everything will get better. Prayers are greatly appreciated.

On the upside, as Steve has told you we have gotten to do a lot of fun things outside of school. I still love the culture and the heat is really getting pretty comfortable, as long as you stay out of the direct sunlight at about 2:00 in the afternoon. We are looking forward to organizing visitors for Christmas break, or anytime for that matter. Know that I think of you all often and miss you. God bless!

5 comments:

  1. I tried to comment last night but did something wrong and it wouldn't send. You sound frustrated. One child can make a total difference in a class. On the other hand, if there is anyone who can handle a challenge it is you. God put you in that room and gave you that little child for a purpose only he knows right now. Hang in there. I know you will make a difference in all of those children,s lives. I am praying for you daily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Amy! I definitely am praying for you. Also, I am looking at flights to see if I can come visit. Possibly with Kathy! Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi love! I can feel your pain, quite literally. Although I don't have ONE who is quite so extreme, the combination of a few has been quite exhausting for me. I haven't been bitten, thankfully, but I'm pretty bruised. Keep praying and keep being consistent and confident. That is probably what that poor child needs more than anything. I love you! Feel free to e-mail anytime! Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, prayers, and comments! Emily- you should come! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This almost reminds me of a clinical student I had who was diagnosed with autism while i was there... He wasn't nearly as bad, and wasn't ACTUALLY violent, but he told kids that he was going to cut their guts out with a chainsaw and yelled at them and got pretty scary...
    Good thing you had two little siblings (one who especially liked biting) who drove you crazy your whole life to prepare you for this!
    Te quiero tanto y no puedo esperar para verte otra vez! Tengo tanto por decirte!

    ReplyDelete