Thursday, September 9, 2010

Por Fin!

Hello again! Since it's been a while I'm going to back-track all the way to this past Sunday. Steve told you about his great guagua experience on the way to church, but he did not tell you about going back that evening. They had a spaghetti supper at church so we got to go back and play games and talk to some of the people of the congregation. I talked to one of the women that we stayed with when I was here on Project Timothy but she spoke SO fast I had a pretty hard time understanding her. We learned a new card game called Tres y Dos and ate a lot of really good food.

Monday night we went out with some of the teachers and their friends to a Jazz night. It was air conditioned and I was FREEZING! But the music was so good! We are hoping to go again. One of the teachers we went with is Cuban. I used to have a really hard time with his accent but I'm starting to get it pretty well now.

Tuesday night we had a meeting for all the parents at school. That started at 7 and we didn't get home till 9ish... Andrew had invited a bunch of the teachers over, but since it was late only two came besides Steve, Andrew, and I. Lisette and Warlin are really great and we ended up staying until shortly after midnight and then we just had to end it.

Today at school was crazy. Just when I think the kids are starting to learn something about how to behave in a classroom, they have to go and prove me wrong. The hardest part is that I just got a new student on Monday. She showed up 5 minutes into the day. I guess sometimes things like that happen. She did go here before and was in the early childhood area with my other kids. She is a handful so that just spices up my life a little more.

I still love my kids, don't get me wrong. But they still haven't learned how to listen to me, how to sit, how to raise their hands, some don't know any of the letters (which I was told they should already know), etc. Many have problems with hitting, lying, and stealing. There are some serious attitudes in some of these kids at such a young age.

On a more positive note- They are always hugging me and telling me they love me and that I am beautiful. And when I look back to the beginning I know that they are learning some things. I just have to remind myself of that on days like today.

Yesterday I had a pet lizard for a little in my room. He was pretty cute and they eat roaches so I left him alone, but I think he left.

Steve just got here and we are off to make dinner so that's it for now. Chau!

3 comments:

  1. If it helps I'm having the same issues with some of my students as well! I'm not sure yet how to deal with the lying yet...any ideas let me know!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little problems with crying to go home and some fooling around don't seem like much at all when I read about your little group. Just think how easy it will seem someday when you teach a class in their own language! Each day will get a little better. I am keeping you in my prayers. I know you are doing a great job and will be a wonderful blessing in the lives of those little "lambs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids lie to me all the time. The reason I know this is because they're really bad at it. :) It makes me sad but I punish them for it. I'm not sure if you have classroom jobs, but one of mine is "encourager". This has helped improve good actions. The encourager will watch for something nice that someone does for somebody else and they share it with me. If it's something really good the whole class gets a reward--like a letter (their letters spell a prize) or maybe a minute or so of extra recess. That's all I can think of.

    It's starting to get cold here. The D.R. will sound even more enticing in a few weeks. Hope you guys are well and safe!

    ReplyDelete