Monday, October 11, 2010

Plea

In 6th grade, we are reading the book "Because of Winn-Dixie." In the book, the girl tries a candy that tastes like root beer and strawberry. When we read that part, I realized something very sad. There is no root beer in the Dominican Republic. We(two students from America and myself) tried to describe the flavor, but, as you can imagine, it is very difficult. I was thinking it would be a fun surprise to have root beer at the party when we watch the movie, but I don't think you can buy it here. If anyone feels brave enough to attempt sending a two-liter through the mail, you could try. I would simply ask people visiting over Christmas, but then we couldn't have our surprise until second semester. Another less daring alternative would be to send root beer flavored candy. But that would be fun, too, since it was candy that the girl ate in the book. I say it would be brave partially because I'm not sure how sending carbonated beverages would go. It is also a brave undertaking because the postal service here is extremely unreliable. Amy's roommate Beth has received multiple packages from family and friends, but when they give her a list of the items they sent, she finds that things are missing. So, I'm saying send me things, but I also warned you.

2 comments:

  1. Is there anything else you really miss from the states that would be safe to send in a package?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tim, nothing is truly safe in a package. Did Steve respond to you yet? All the packages my roommate has gotten have had random but various things taken out. But we would appreciate the effort if you send something our way- just make sure it's inexpensive and not irreplaceable. :)

    ReplyDelete