Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reformation Sunday Big Parade!

Friday:
-School
-Nap
-Date with Amy
-Bed

Amy and I went on a date Friday to this Italian restaurant Katie recommended to us. It was actually very awesome. The food was delicious. I had a pork fillet with Gorgonzola. Yum. Amy had fettuccine with shrimp. Also yum, but not as much as mine. The ambiance was also really great. It had kind of a Bohemian decor, with lots of interesting lamps and wallpaper, eclectic furniture, lots of color. But the best part was the waiters. They had those long aprons that go to the floor, so at first it looks like they are wearing robes, and they had these little hats on, and they all have darker skin, and with the Bohemian kind of decor, we walked in and had to make sure we weren't out for Indian food. But we had a great time and will definitely be back. When you all are visiting, remind us to take you there.

Saturday:
-Brunch
-Girls/Guys day
-H20
-Dancing

Katie's birthday is on Tuesday, and she wanted to celebrate this weekend. So in the afternoon, the girls went to a salon to get their nails done, leaving Andrew, Guess, and I to entertain ourselves. So we walked to the mall to eat some KFC. That evening we went out to H2O. I think I wrote about this before, the liquor store that acts like a bar? It was great. Keith came with and a couple of Guess's friends. They both happened to be teachers, so there was plenty for us all to talk about. After drinks and nachos, Keith really wanted to go dancing. So we went to this bar, but when we got there, I noticed two things. There were no single women (sorry Keith) and no one was dancing. They played merengue, bachata, salsa, and reggae-ton (Latin hip-hop), but I guess the people there only wanted to dance to merengue and bachata. So it took a while for the dance floor to warm up a bit. But we still all got to dance, and Katie and Amy took turns dancing with Keith, so it wasn't a total bust.

Sunday:
-Church
-Piano lesson
-Grocery shopping
-Brunch
-Nap
-Pineapple carving
-Dinner at church

I got to give my first piano lesson today. There's this kid at the church in Moca who took some lessons from the missionary's wife. Their hymnal is notated using a melody and chord symbols, not 4-part like ours, so he's learned to read chord symbols, not a staff. I think we're going to work mostly on some improvisation techniques and get him used to reading music from the staff, especially bass clef.

In the spirit of Halloween, Amy and I picked up some pineapples from the store, took 'em home, cut off the tops, hollowed them out (which is more difficult to do than with a pumpkin. 1 word: core), and cut some faces in them. Pictures coming soon.

There have been 3 baptisms recently at the church, so to celebrate, they had a dinner tonight. The turnout wasn't nearly as good as the last one. About half. But it was fun, still, and there was plenty of good food. Amy was learning some of the songs the kids were singing. I didn't get it. Maybe I'll get her to post about that sometime. Maybe I'll get her to post anything at all. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to taste some of that food, and do you think you could take your old Grandma dancing when I visit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided yesterday that I miss having any of the songs I heard on the radio during my time with you guys stuck in my head (they were on and off for about 2 weeks.) If you think of the names of any popular ones let me know, I might scour the internet looking for downloads :).

    Also I am super excited for pineapple pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super excited for pineapple pictures as well.

    And for Amy to post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we miss Amy's posts, but love reading yours and your descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pineapples. I think this is called adaptation.
    So are you finally getting to play a piano, when you give lessons?

    ReplyDelete