Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The 3rd Man

Remember when I wrote about hanging outside the guagua on the way to church? Well. Today I caught a guagua on the way back from the gym. This already is a very impressive feat. All of the guaguas are always full, so I need to take a concho part of the way and then walk. But today I got a guagua! It was full, so I got to hang out the door again. But this time it got extra tricky. It was not just me, but also the doorman, and then we picked up another guy! So three of us were hanging out the van door. The vehicle was riding so low, they couldn't close the passenger side door properly and had to stop to put air in the tires. It was intense.

Sunday was Family Day. The PTA puts it together every year. It's kind of like a carnival, with food stands and games and activities. They usually have it at some park, but this year the venue was different. One of the families at the school owns a ranch in the town. And when I say ranch, I think I mean resort. It has a pool, (complete with bridge and waterfall), about 10 horses and all of the facilities to train them, a gigantic patio, and a paintball range. After checking out the horses(first things first), Amy and I volunteered to man the soda stand for an hour and then we got some food. They also had a dance competition at the end of the day. Miss Jennie had asked Amy and I to bring some swing music to show off our moves(since there would be no way we could compete in latin dance). We did that before the dance competition, and everyone had fun. We also got to impress our students. ;) We had a lot to do that day still, so once we were done with our demonstration, we had to scoot. But on Monday during flag line, some of the members of the PTA presented us with medals. Apparently we had won the dance competition!

Yesterday in my classroom was a very special day. We finished reading the book Because of Winn Dixie several weeks ago, but I was waiting to watch the movie. I waited until I had some root beer candy to share with them. So yesterday we watched the movie and had a "Winn Dixie Party!" At the end of the book, there is a party and we tried to duplicate as much of that party as we could. This included egg salad sandwiches (enough to feed 24), root beer flavored candy, and punch (made with fresh grapefruit juice!). The kids like all of it! I was afraid either the candy or the sandwiches wouldn't go over well, but they loved it all! And they had fun watching the movie since they were able to recognize all of the scenes, characters, and even predict some of the lines.

Well, that's enough for now. There is more excitement coming this week. Reading Marathon is in full swing, and I'm sure either Amy or I will post something before the week is out.

3 comments:

  1. Who was the wonderful person that sent you the root beer candy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhenI saw the title "The Third Man" it startled me. There's and old movie with that title, very good, a little spooky. I think Orson Wells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having a Winn Dixie party! I'm glad the kids liked the sandwiches and candy. I know plenty of Americans who don't like egg salad. Sad, I know.

    ReplyDelete