Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tomas

I hate Tomas. Yes because of the havoc wreaked on poor Haiti, but also for more selfish and trivial reasons.

Last Friday was Sports Day. No school, just taking the kids to the park for some friendly competition from 8-12 and then an early weekend! How great!

Except Tomas ruined everything. Because of all the rain scheduled for Friday, Sports Day was "postponed" (in parentheses because postponement implies rescheduling, and we'll see if that actually happens...) and we thought hey, day off! No way. Full day of school. And we only found out 36 hours before. And grades were due the same day. So my Friday was spent with the kids who actually showed up for school and didn't really want to be there and had basically started the weekend in their brains already, trying to figure out stuff to keep them mildly productive.

Oh, also, as mentioned earlier, grades were due, too. Apparently this was on the calendar we received at the beginning of the year, and we expected it since we have to give grades every month, but usually not for another week. Those of us who are less vigilant of our calendars were rather caught off guard this Wednesday. So when I wasn't in class, I was frantically trying to track down grades from the multitude of sick students I've had the past 2 1/2 weeks.

So I had resigned myself to this sad Friday, but hey, at least we should get to see the edge of a hurricane, so that will be fun, right? No. It sprinkled on and off all Friday, and today the sun came out for a bit. What a tragic waste. So all of you biting your nails worrying for us, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but all that happened was the dampening of the hem of my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment