Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hurricane!

No, actually this is just rain. But since it's a very cold 73 degrees this morning and it's "really windy," we have decided to stay back from church. It was a very difficult decision to make since we will have to go two weeks now between seeing our dear Dominican WELS family there, but Beth has a bit of a cold and it has been ages since we had a traditional English service so we will do our own here at the apartment.

Things on my end have been crazy as usual, which is why I haven't written. Thanks to those of you who commented on the absence of my entries- you gave me the encouragement I needed to get back on here and write again.

Steve covered most of the exciting things that have happened. Other than all that, my life is mostly just school and tutoring. The wild child I have in my classroom has been diagnosed with ADHD, but the psychiatrist will not prescribe anything until he's 7 and he's only 5 (supposedly...) The good news is that he made some serious improvement this week on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. He has decided to no longer hate me because I'm white (yes, he used to tell people that) and realized that even though I am white I do love him (he used to say I didn't for that very reason). Now actually he likes me better than his Dominican teacher. The bad news is that on Thursday and Friday he goes back to his old self. I think the week just gets too long for him. It doesn't help that his mother is really upset with the school for something that happened on the bus (out of our control) and that his backpack got broken at school (mostly his own fault). She has gotten him pretty riled up about these things too, which happened quite some time ago and never bothered him till now. Apparently his mother threatened not to bring him back so we'll see tomorrow...

*********************

That's a break since this is kind of actually a new one... It is now night, and we've had a long, fun day. This morning's church service in our apartment was really nice. We had a hymn sing that lasted till 11. Then we waited around for a break in the rain and went to Lisette's house. She had a party and made us goat, yucca, and rice to eat. Dominoes were played, conversation was lively, and it all ended in dancing- a classic Dominican party. Then we did a little grocery shopping and made some dinner. Later as Steve was thinking of leaving, my roommate Ally invited us to join for s'mores. She, Miguel (her boyfriend), and Beth were roasting marshmallows over candles! The chocolate was Dominican :( and the graham crackers were cinnamon (odd) but they were so delicious! Don't worry, I got pictures!

Now it's time to get some sleep before the start of another week. Is it almost Christmas break yet? Ally put up some lights on our balcony and it's really setting the Christmas mood. Good night dear ones and may God bless you this week!

1 comment:

  1. Amy I hope things are going better with your "problem child." I've been having the same experience here, but since they are 3-year-olds they can't even be tested yet. It can be rather stressful. I wish you the best of luck with him and his mother. Parents are the hardest part of teaching I think. I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete