Monday, August 23, 2010

Another Cookie Attempt

I now realize why they don't really bake in this country.

They don't have normal butter. All you can really find is margarine, and it's weird. My chocolate chip cookie batter was more like pancake batter. And the result was pancake cookies. Also, Andrew and I just had a "DOH!" moment. In the DR, chocolate chips cannot be merely kept in the cupboard, but rather in the fridge. So that was fun to stir into the batter. Betty Crocker also claimed that these cookies should be baked on an ungreased cookie sheet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! She has too much faith in Dominican butter. Anyways, after another cup of flour and scraping the bottoms of cookies off the pan, I heavily greased it, dropped the spoonfuls on, and am now watching some actual cookie-shaped cookies forming in the oven. I can only pray that they will actually come off the pan.




GOOD NEWS!! I have cookies and they look like cookies!! The texture is a bit weird. But I'm not complaining, because they look like cookies, taste like cookies, and only left a small mess in the bottom of the pan. Whew!

The bad news, is that our cookie sheet it tiny, and only holds six cookies at a time. I'm really glad this was a smallish sized batch.

4 comments:

  1. At least your oven cooks them properly! There have been cookie experiments going on here too. Kurt's be perfecting his brownie drop cookies with java caramel frosting. You two should recipe swap or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve-
    I asked my mom what to do about the cookies (and cooking in general) And basically she just said to keep experimenting because when you have more natural ingredients instead of the processed stuff we have in the US, it makes everything just a little more challenging
    So KEEP TRYING, eventually you will get stuff that is somewhat like what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY I'M COMMENTING! make me cookies.... :)
    kiss me through the skype!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://chewywaffles.blogspot.com/2008/07/no-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

    I've made these before and enjoyed them. Do you have vegetable or canola oil at your local stores?

    ReplyDelete