Sunday, August 29, 2010

Children Hate Me

What an eye-catching title, right? I've got your attention! Too bad. That topic doesn't come up until the end of this post. HA!

What a great weekend! It was so hard coming back today knowing I have a stack of correcting and 23 6th graders waiting for me tomorrow.

We went to a resort in Puerto Plata called Puerto Plata Village. It's in this big strip where there are several resorts. The worst part was that this resort is not on the beach. We could have taken a guagua, but we decided we didn't want to waste any precious relaxation time. Or money. The resort was all-inclusive, so doing anything anywhere else would just be a waste of money. This all-inclusiveness led to a very exciting and varied 24-hour itinerary: arrive, eat, drink, swim, drink, eat, drink, see show, eat, drink, dance, eat, sleep, eat, swim, drink, eat, swim, drink, swim, drink, leave. It was the perfect cap to the first full week of school. It wasn't that expensive, only 2,000 pesos (which is like $65) for 24 hours of all-you-can-eat and all-you-can-drink and AC and a nice pool. And yes, Dad, it had a swim-up bar.

The food was really good. I was glad to see they served mostly traditional Dominican food, not Americanized cuisine. I got to try a lot of new dishes. My favorite was guava marmalade. I need to remember to pick some up from the supermarket next time.

Also, for those of you who know me, you will understand this: In the lobby was this lovely looking grand piano. It was covered in a giant doily, candles, seashells, and a neat little sign reading "Please do not play the piano" in 4 languages. Super. My first experience with a real piano in a month.

Oh, and there was church. Unfortunately, I forgot my hymnal and English Bible. So I didn't have a clue what was going on.

And now the topic you've all been waiting for: I'll start by saying that Amy is a child magnet. All little children love her at first sight. It's amazing. Every baby, toddler, or little girl smiles and plays games with her without even having met her. Then they see me. Kids don't know what to think of me. I think I confuse/intimidate them. So they're having so much fun making eyes at Amy, see me, and their faces just fall. Exhibit A: While sitting at the swim-up bar, several little Dominican children where swimming behind us and splashing us. Nothing obnoxious, just playful. So I decided to play along. The little girl swam behind me and I splashed a little splash back. It ended up being extremely accurate and nailed her right in the eye. I received such a dirty look. They left us alone after that. Good night.

5 comments:

  1. It's too bad that children do not seem to like you :(
    I will make sure that any children I meet hear how wonderful you are to make up for it ;)
    I'm glad to hear that your weekend was relaxing and that you were able to enjoy yourself! Have a great week.-Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great weekend! The kids would like you too. They just need a little more time. Amy has always been a kid magnet, but you know what happens when you rub a magnet on something metal, it becomes magnetic too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should have pretended not to speak any of the languages on the sign -- once you started playing, they would have thanked you for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have asked if you could play the piano. Maybe they would like it and ask you to come back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitch has always loved you (even when he was a "kid"). Have a little hope!

    When we went with your mom and dad to Mexico we had a swim-up bar too...but I suppose in the DR it was actually warm enought to swim up to the swim-up bar.

    Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete