Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday: Take 2

I finally finished my part of the wedding website so Steve is now allowing me to blog too! Last week flew by and I feel like I hardly started the many things I need to accomplish. A teacher's work is never done I'm afraid. Saturday at the beach was much needed relaxation time and then Sunday was kind of a day for lounging. I did get my things mostly put away in my room. I live in an apartment with three roommates (Ally, Katie, and Beth) and four bedrooms, so we each get our own. Beth and I share a bathroom. I actually tend to spend more time at Steve and Andrew's apartment than my own since it is on my walk home and they have internet. My internet still needs to be set up.

We made it through this Monday much more conscious than the last:) Today at school Miss Jenny, the school administrator, came in and told me that my counterpart (the Dominican teacher who teaches my class in Spanish) had been switched. Apparently they wanted a more experienced teacher in the third grade classroom so Rosanna will be teaching them and I will now be working with Niwrka. She does not speak English. I am very glad to have the Spanish I do so that we can communicate.

I have made and put up a lot of the things I will be using in my classroom- days of the week signs, a good listening poster, colors in Spanish and English, a stop light for discipline, etc. Tomorrow I will need to get down to some serious planning. It is going to be a huge challenge to be resourceful here with the many limitations, especially with the younger children who need to have hands-on experiences to stay engaged in the lessons and retain the information.

Steve and I watched a sermon online today after school. (We will hopefully be going to the WELS church next weekend when Keith, the MLC grad who has been here for a few years, will take us.) We just finished working on our wedding registry, for today anyway... (That is one of the hardest but most exciting jobs ever!) and now he is making banana pancakes for dinner tonight. He's a pretty great fiance:) There is water here, for right now anyway. We will probably need to go shopping again soon. Maybe tomorrow... We live pretty day-to-day here. There is always another adventure right around the corner;)

PS. If you read this I'd welcome any comments! I do get just a bit homesick every now and then and it's always so great to hear from all of you back in the States or wherever you are!

4 comments:

  1. Skype me! mmouse1977 Love, Micki

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where's the wedding website?
    And yeah, sure, you stay at Steve's just for the internet. Where are all my emails, then?
    Love you and love giving you a hard time,
    VAL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Good to see that you guys made it down safe and are settling in. Saw some of the pictures. It looks pretty nifty! You guys are on quite the adventure down there! Kinda fun to think about all the new things you're doing and seeing. I'm also interested in how your wedding plans are coming, and where the website is.

    Have fun!

    Jonathan :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! You are all great! I will skype as soon as I have my own internet, Micki! Val and Jonathan, we will get info out for the wedding website with the save-the-dates we hope to email out soon. We will try to get more pictures up soon. And okay, maybe I don't go to Steve's JUST for the internet... ;)

    Take care all and God bless!

    ReplyDelete